This is an excerpt from the book “Milan” by Enrico Massetti.
Built for purely defensive reasons by Galeazzo II Visconti around 1368, the Castello lost its initial destination as a fortress to assume that of a kingly dwelling but only to resume its original role of an efficient fort in 1450 under Francesco Sforza, the new Lord of Milan. His successor, Ludovico il Moro, turned the Castello into one of the most beautiful courts of Renaissance Italy and a point of attraction of the most talented artists of the time.
With the sixteenth century began the slow and fatal decline of this massive building. In the eighteenth century, the Castello was taken over by the Austrians who, except for the French rule by Napoleon between 1796- 1814, kept it until the liberation of Lombardy by Vittorio Emanuele II.
Its reconstruction was carried out by the famous architect Luca Beltrami who, starting in 1893, brought the Castello back to its former model.
Among the many exciting centers of attractions of the castle, it is worthwhile mentioning the impressive Tower of Filarete, the vast Piazza d’Armi Courtyard, the Rocchetta Courtyard and the small Courtyard of the Fountain.
end of the excerpt, you can buy the full content of the book “Milan” without advertising.
Where to stay in Milan
There are hotels, apartments, B&Bs and guesthouses available, check it out and make a reservation here.