Mantova – From Porta Pradella to Porta Mulina (Brown Path)

This is an excerpt from the book “Mantua a complete guide

Itinerary

28]
Starting from Piazza Cavalotti, walking along corso Vittorio Emanuele II and going to the right, on the corner with via Bonomi, one can visit the Church of S.Orsola, built in 1608 from a design by Anton Maria Viani. The church, interesting for its octagonal plan, was formerly joined to a monastery which was demolished in 1930.
Ahead, almost at the end of the road, stands the Church of Ognissanti (All Saints), of medieval origin, rebuilt in 1752. Inside, are late 16th century paintings by Ippolito Andreasi and Teodoro Ghisi, together with paintings by Giuseppe Bazzani; in the chapel of the Dead, 14th century frescoes are still visible together with a noteworthy Madonna and Saints by Nicolo’ da Verona and dating to the mid 15th century.
At the end of the same street one reaches the Porta Pradella, where the old gate that marked the western boundary of town once stood.

San Francesco – Photo © leciram

29]
Turning to the right and crossing Piazza Don Leoni, where the railway station is now, proceeding then along via Solferino e San Martino, one comes to via Scarsellini, where the Church of San Francesco stands. It was built between the end of the 13th and the beginning of the 14th century on the site of an oratory founded by the Franciscan friar Benvenuto, a companion of Saint Francis, to whom the church is dedicated.
On the facade, the portal is surmounted by a rose window and flanked by two finely decorated terracotta windows. Inside, two aisles are separated from the central nave by brickwork pillars and flanked by several chapels; the best known is the Gonzaga chapel at the end of the nave, where once the tombs of the first rulers of the family lay and where impressive traces of the original 14th century decoration are still visible.

30]
The itinerary proceeds to Piazza d’Arco, dominated by the Palace owned by the Conti d’Arco, today seat of the Fondazione d’Arco. It was built during the 1780s by architect Antonio Colonna, assisted by Paolo Pozzo.

31]
Walking along via Fernelli, at the crossroads with via Monteverdi, at number 1, is the deconsecrated Church of Santa Maria della Vittoria, at present under restoration.

end of the book excerpt. You have the full content at: “Mantua a complete guide

Where to stay in Mantua

There are hotels, apartments, B&Bs and guesthouses available, check it out and make a reservation here.