Mantova – From the Historic center to Porta Cerese (Purple Path)

This is an excerpt from the book “Mantua a complete guide

Mantova

20]
This itinerary starts from the area facing the Rio, near Piazza Martiri di Belfiore. Here, crossing over the canal, one can see the Pescherie, built by Giulio Romano in 1534; it is a double, rusticated portico with round arches, where once the fish market was held.
In the same square bordering the Rio, stands the isolated bell tower of San Domenico, the only part that has survived of the medieval church of that name.
Walking along via Mazzini, 16th century buildings can be seen while, a little ahead, stands the Church of Santa Teresa, built in 1668 next to its convent.

21]
Turning left, in via Giulio Romano, beyond the corner with via Nazario Sauro, is the deconsecrated Church of the Carmelino built in the 18th century with the adjoining convent of which only the cloister has survived.

22]
Turning right to via Vittorino da Feltre, where the street expands into a square, one can see the Church of Santo Spirito, completely altered in recent times; inside traces of a pictorial decoration date back to the end of the 15th century. In the small church square a memorial stone recalls the great humanist Vittorino da Feltre, who lived at the court of the Gonzaga family from 1423 to 1446.

23]
Going back to via Giulio Romano, one reaches via Isabella d’ Este, where the Church of San Lorenzino stands. This small church, now used as an Evangelical church, dates back to 1590 and is attributed to architect Giuseppe Dattari.

Mantova Camera degli Specchi – Photo © jikamajoja

end of the book excerpt. You have the full content at: “Mantua a complete guide

Where to stay in Mantua

There are hotels, apartments, B&Bs and guesthouses available, check it out and make a reservation here.