Get the complete e-guide to Milan, up-to-date and with detailed instructions, including:
- Detailed description of the attractions
- Description of the itineraries
- list of best restaurants, with links to the review pages
- and all the other details you need to have a wonderful and successful trip:
The National Museum of Science and Technology (then Technical) Leonardo da Vinci was born February 15, 1953, under pressure from a group of Lombardi industrialists led by Guido Ucelli di Nemi and the support of a broad consensus of political forces. It turned into a Foundation “Fondazione Museo Nazionale della Scienza e della Tecnologia Leonardo da Vinci” (private foundation) with bill No 258, July 20, 1999. Today is the largest technical and scientific museum in Italy. In the international scene, is one of the protagonists of the cultural debate, museological and educational.
Located in a Olivetan monastery built in the early ‘500 in the heart of Milan, is named after Leonardo da Vinci, personality that combines art, science and technical insights of extraordinary value. Its mission is to promote scientific and technological culture, making it accessible to all. The objective is to stimulate interest in technology, convey enthusiasm for the understanding of science through active experiences, engaging and exciting.
Collections and interactive workshops are now organized into seven departments: Materials, Transportation, Energy, Communication, Leonardo-Arts & Science, New Frontiers, Science for children. The Museum holds a rich heritage and communicates a memory value to the past, interpret the present while preparing for the future.
The living museum
All educational activities proposed are based on involvement, discovery and exploration through unique experiences, fun and exciting. Thanks to an informal educational approach, each visitor becomes the protagonist and can “touch” to explore and debate include.
To all Museum visitors can:
– Explore the collections and new interactive exhibits dedicated to the telegraph, telephone and television, the new area and new areas for oil to the rubber and adhesive substances;
– Discover one of the most important collections to the world of machine models of Leonardo da Vinci on display in Gallery dedicated to him;
– Know the unique examples of the history of the industrial transformation of our country as the mill Falck and Queen Margherita or excited in front of the school ship Hebe and the bridge of Conte Biancamano;
– Try one of the workshops and interactive courses;
– Board the submarine Enrico Toti and relive the emotions felt by sailors during navigation;
– Visit a temporary exhibition;
– Participate in theatrical activities;
– Take part in conferences, workshops and events to form an opinion on topical issues.
The museum in figures
Area of 40,000 sq.m.
12,500 square meters of renovated area since 2000
330,000 visitors in 2008 (the museum was closed to the public for three months to work on building and equipment)
2,806,196 website visitors
14 exhibition sections
13 interactive workshops (i.lab)
119 educational pathways
Some national and international awards
For the second consecutive year the Museum is at 1st place in Lombardy and the 20th place among the most visited museums in Italy.
At the award ceremony “Novo Nordisk Media Prize Italy” Museum receives “August and Marie Krogh” Medal for the movie “Who does and who knows?” On biotechnology as the work of promoting cultural, social and popular health.
The museum, in the person of Director General Fiorenzo Galli, received the “Premio Capo d’Orlando Science” for Museum Management. The Award is a public recognition to those who work with great results in the world of multidisciplinary research in the field of dissemination and science journalism in the direction of the museums, the promotion of science through the Internet.
Federculture assigns the Museum Prize Culture Management – category management policies and promotion of cultural heritage – for the transportation and musealization submarine Enrico Toti.
The site www.museoscienza.org wins for the third consecutive year Osc @ r Web – class museums.
At the European Best Event Awards 2006 Project Toti Museum wins award for best public event of the year and is the 2nd place overall after the opening ceremony of the Turin Olympics.
A study of Manageritalia Museum is among the 50 most innovative business realities Italian offices.
The Museum is included in the book “Topbrands” as the only museum institution in our country recognized for its brand value.
Italian President Carlo Azeglio Ciampi, on proposal of the Minister of Education, University and Research Letizia Moratti, gives the Gold Medal for Merit to the Museum in the fields of education, culture and art.
Three educational projects of the museum – “Spring of Science”, “EST Project”, “Science Under 18” – receive a special mention in the Report of the European Union on the growth of human resources in Europe for science and technology.
Where to stay in Milan
There are hotels, apartments, B&Bs and guesthouses available, check it out and make a reservation here.