Origins and Brief Summary of Ecology Actions
Ecology Action of Texas was founded in 1970 as
In 2000 we became a worker-run cooperative operated by a democratic
What We Do Today
Ecology Action of Texas is a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) membership organization dedicated to public education and community service.
Our mission is to educate and empower people to create a healthier environment through waste prevention, accessibility to recycling and cooperation.
We operate recycling drop-off centers across Central Texas and maintain a recycling drop-off and processing center in downtown Austin.
Besides recycling and composting our work includes:
- Conducting educational tours
- Customer service
- Providing hands-on volunteer opportunities
- Facilitating training programs and partnerships for traditionally marginalized and differently-abled communities.
- Staffing public events throughout the year
- Providing educational talks at classroom and community spaces
- Consultations and waste audits to small businesses
- Providing mutual aid and support to other workers in labor disputes
- Providing services to members of the homeless population.
- Incubating and supporting other cooperatives
- Interfacing with policy makers about environmental issues in Central Texas
- Serving as a clearinghouse for information about recycling and waste prevention through the City’s 311 information service.
Landfills aren’t the only thing we impact. By
Cooperative organizational structure
Ecology Action of Texas is a non-profit, worker-run, recycling/compost and sustainable agriculture operation founded in 1970. Worker self-management was won via an Industrial Workers of the World (IWW) labor strike in July of 2001, and Ecology Action is currently organized horizontally and operates on consensus. Our guiding principles emphasize consideration of the social and environmental consequences inherent in every decision that we make, and we strive to promote and participate in a Solidarity Economy wherever possible.
Photos by Ann Harkness