Photo © Luca Bertolli
Built between 1342 and 1349 according to the wishes of Luchino Visconti, the fortress passed to the Scotti family in 1404, then to Filippo Visconti. In 1466 it became a part of the Sforza family’s estate, and in 1707 it was incorporated into the Duchy of Parma and Piacenza.
Constructed entirely of brick, the building consists of two connected parts: a lower rectangular shaped enclosure and a smaller one.
The village and the entire complex are dominated by the keep, composed of a series of rooms, built one on top of the other, which communicate by means of a system of steps that lead to the summit.
From here, it is possible to enjoy a splendid panorama, evidence of the old role of the fortress as the pivot of urban defense and the entire Arda Valley’s surveillance system.
The Multimedia Museum of Medieval Life can be found inside.
LOCALITY: Municipality of Castell’Arquato, 33 km from Piacenza
OPENING PERIOD: all year round
OPENING HOURS: from January to 11 March: Saturday and holidays 10am-1pm and 3pm-5pm;
from 13 March to 14 October: from Tuesday to Sunday 10am-1pm and 3pm-7pm;
from 15 October to December: Saturday and holidays 10am-1pm and 3pm-5pm.
Open upon reservation for a minimum of ten persons. Admission by payment. Guided visits upon reservation.
PRICE TICKETS: adults: Euro 3,50
children from 6 to 12 years: Euro 2,50
seniors over 65 years: Euro 2,50
Groups (min. 25 persons): Euro 2,50
Schools: Euro 2,50
reduced price for the possessors of “Card del Ducato” Euro 2,50
PATH OF VISIT: external courtyards, inside of the keep and multimedia museum of medieval life
SERVICES: guided tours in foreign languages by booking
Courtesy of www.castellidelducato.it