The common of Sequals comprises the localities Lestans and Solimbergo.
The territory of Sequals, is the most important for the prehistory in Friuli: have been found four necropolis, a “peasant villa” and six more modest settlements of roman imperial age, but came to the light also finds of the medium Palaeolithic age (80.000 – 30.000 years ago). There are also finds of the Neolithic age and the age of Bronze (some finds are exhibited at the “Villa Savorgnan” of Lestans and the “Canonica” of Solimbergo).
Many are also the finds of the medieval age (Castle of Solimbergo, chapel of Santa Fosca and S. Zeno).
Today this villages have revived, after the emigration and the earthquake of the 1976, thanks to the reconstructions that has recovered the original architectonic patrimony. It’s native land of many artists as mosaic workers, which have embellished great buildings in Paris, Vienna, Moscow, Lourdes, Istanbul, San Petersburg, Barcelona, Tokyo, Buenos Aires (the most known families are: Avon, Facchina, Mora, Odorico, Pellain ext…). Was born and is buried here Primo Carnera, called “good giant”, that in the 1933 was the world champion of maximum weights.
Built in the second part of the XVIII century, and damaged by the earthquake in the 1812, hit by a lightning in 1828 and than gravely damaged by the earthquake in the 1976, the parochial church of S. Andrea Apostolo is located in the high zone and dominates Sequals and the plan below.
The majestic flight of steps in stone, has been created in the 1880 by Giobatta Facchina, who was also the author, in 1901, of the wonderful church’s floor. The faced is divided in three parts by pilasters and with a tympanum.
Inside the church has one central nave. The chorus is characterized by a big altar of the XVIII century in white marble with the statues of the Saints Pietro and Andrea; there are also many works by different local artists: busts of Saints by Pietro Pellarin and Giobatta Tassut, a beautiful “Via Crucis” by Gino Avon from Spilimbergo, with light effect, made in the 1931; in the same year Mario Sgobaro from Udine decorated the church’s painting on the nave’s ceiling, three scenes of the S. Andrea Apostolo’s life: “S. Andrea, who from the boat indicates Jesus to S. Pietro”, “S. Andrea’s Sermon”, and “S.Andrea in adoration”.
The stoup was made by Giovanni Antonio Pilacorte (1497) with some putti and heads in bas-relief; over the baluster(1503, coming from the S. Nicolo’ church) there are small figures of the announcing angel and the Virgin; the painting “Madonna with Child, S. Urbano and S. Bartolomeo,” was made by the Venetian Carlo Gaspari (1748 – 1800), while the Venetian Giuseppe de Gobbis has painted the shovel with S. Sebastiano, S. Apollonia, and S. Rocco (1787).
The painting “Madonna with Child, S. Antonio Abate, S. Vescovo” (beginning of XIX century) is by an anonymous artist; while the “Madonna with Child and Saints Sebastiano and Rocco” (XIX century) was made by Giulio Antonio Sussi (born in Venice in the 1858).
The small Church of S. Nicolo, that has been restored after the earthquake, has a baroque faced and a small porch;
Many frescoes by Marco Tiussi from Spilimbergo have been brought back to the light, and plastered b the parish priest in the second part of XIX century.
The Venetian altar of XVIII century has two paintings by Gasparo Narvesa: “S. Valentino and S. Floriano” (1601).
Very interesting is “Villa Carnera” constructed by the champion Primo Carnera, with cycle of frescoes by Giuseppe Barazzutti (1933).
In the locality Lestans, the great “Villa Savorgnan” ( built in the XVI century and then rebuilt between the XVII and XVIII centuries) is an important cultural center and venue of the CRAF (Center of Search and Recording of Photography); it has a big fronton; inside there is a small archaeological Collection.
The parochial church has a great stoup (XVI century) with linear cover in wood (1703), with painting by Valentino Belgrado; a greater marmoreal altar (1758 – 1759) by Silvestro and Giuseppe Comiz, from Pinzano; and it conserves a beautiful cycle of frescoes in the chorus, by Pomponio Amalteo, gravely damaged during the earthquake, but fortunately restored. Painted between the 1535 and the 1551, the painting representing some moments from the old and new Testament: from the Creation to the Virgin’s Crowning.
In Solimbergo, the parochial church (XVIII century) has a faced with mosaics representing Madonna with Child and the Saints Pietro and Paolo (1911) by Andrea Avon.
Inside there are others mosaics by Gino Avon (beginning of the XX century), a painting in the nave’s ceiling and a shovel in the left lateral altar by the Venetian Giulio Carlini (1873) representing the Madonna with Child and the Saints Giovanni Evangelista and Fosca, very fine for the colors and the particulars.
We remind to you also the archaeological excavation in the locality Santa Fosca.
From: “Guida Artistica del Friuli Venezia Giulia”
(Artistic guide of Friuli Venezia Giulia) by Giuseppe Bergamini