This itinerary focuses on sites of culture, prevalently housed in 17th and 18th century buildings.
The itinerary can start from via Ardigo’, which can be reached from Piazza Broletto passing through the Arengario arch.
Along the street one sees the facade of the former Church of the Holy Trinity. The Church was built in 1587 for the Jesuits, but the facade was altered over the course of the 19th century. In the main chapel three large canvases were once on display, painted at the beginning of the 17th century by Peter Paul Rubens: the Baptism of Christ and the Transfiguration of Our Lord, stolen at the end of the 18th century by the French soldiers. They are now in the museums of Antwerp and Nancy, while the Gonzaga Family in Adoration of the Holy Trinity is still in Mantua and hangs in the Ducal Palace.
Walking along via Ardigo’ one reaches Piazza Dante on which stand the Palazzo degli Studi (entrance from the City Library) and the Virgilian Academy.
The Palazzo degli Studi was property of the Jesuits and housed the University when Bolognese architect Alfonso Torreggiani rebuilt the facade according to neo-classical canons between 1753 and 1763. In 1780, thanks to Empress Maria Theresa of Austria, the Public Library was opened; for this reason it is called “Teresiana“.
Continuing to the left, in via Accademia, one can admire the main facade of the Virgilian Academy, of medieval origin; formerly it was the seat of the Renaissance literary academies, the Accademia degli Invaghiti and Accademia degli Invitti (subsequently called dei Timidi). These academies were replaced, over the course of the 18th century, by the Royal Academy of Science Literature and Arts, according to the wishes of Maria Theresa of Austria; the building itself was completely renovated as well.
end of the book excerpt. You have the full content at: “Mantua a complete guide“
Where to stay in Mantua
There are hotels, apartments, B&Bs and guesthouses available, check it out and make a reservation here.