Situated on the delta of the Toscolano stream, the two small towns of Toscolano and Maderno have an ancient roman origin.
They were joined together in a single municipality in 1928. During the Middle Ages Maderno had a remarkable political and administrative importance. In the XVII and XVIII centuries the dukes of Mantua fixed their sommer residence in the Gonzaga palace and in the Villa del Serraglio.
Both in Maderno and in Toscolano the squares offer many important artistic proofs.
The parish Churc dedicated to Saint Peter and to saint Paul is worth visiting.
The inside is dominated by the canvas of the venetian Andrea Celesti ( 1637-after 1712 ), who left here a big mark of his lively imagination, painting three big canvas: Simon Mago’s fall, the delivery of the key and Saint Paul’s and Saint Peter’s martyrdom.
Until XVI century Toscolano was the seat of important paper mills and factories placed along the valley, where the torrent with the same name flows.
In front of the lake stands the fifteen-century Madonna del Benaco’s shrine. In Saint Markus’ square, in Maderno, stands the Saint John’s basilica, which is a beautiful example of romanesque-lombard Architecture. The basilica was built on an old wreck, that preserved relics of Saint Herculaneum , who was the bishops of Brescia. The inside has three aisle and under the presbytery there is the recently restored crypt.