This is an excerpt from the book “Aosta Valley Itineraries”.
The castle of Cly, belonged to a branch of the family Challant, has a primitive type. The large wall occupies the entire top of a hill overlooking the central valley upstream of Chambave, already popular in prehistoric times.
The impressive donjon (dated 1027 by dendrochronological examinations) is surrounded by a Romanesque chapel and some residential buildings, stables and cellars. In 1376 it came under the direct control of Savoy who formed a castle until 1550.
Abandoned for centuries and reduced to ruins in a large part, it is very interesting to observe the evolution of the castles and to rebuild a relationship with the land and the community.