This is an excerpt from the book “Aosta Valley Itineraries”.
The castle of Ussel (Chatillon), considered one of the first examples of block castle in Valle d’Aosta, is exactly half way between the castles and the most primitive form strictly geometric Verrès.
It was built in 1343 by Ebalo Challant II, grandson of the Great Ebalo and brother of Aimone, sir Fénis. Of a single campaign work, this castle did not undergo follow-up actions so that it keeps intact its original features.
The harmony of the building is due to the systematic use of rectangles with the golden ratio. It is set in a dominant position on a rocky outcrop situated on the right bank of the Valle d’Aosta, in front of Châtillon and Saint-Vincent.
Spectacular and panoramic view enjoyed from the walkway that runs behind the battlements at the top of the walls. It was donated to the Valle d’Aosta in 1984 by Baron Marcel Bich, founder of the famous Bic, and is currently home to temporary exhibitions. Suggestive night vision from the valley.
ourtesy of Donato Arcaro, touristic and naturalistic guide translation Enrico Massetti.